Dungeon Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dungeon Forums

wrestling discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
punjabi king

punjabi king

Male Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2007-05-13

McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates Empty
PostSubject: McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates   McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates Icon_minitimeMon May 14, 2007 12:31 pm

Posted on 5/14/107 by Mike Informer

McMahon addresses Sacred Heart grads
BILL CUMMINGS bcummings@ctpost.com
05/14/2007 09:48:07 AM EDT

FAIRFIELD — Vince McMahon didn't have much advice Sunday for the hundreds of Sacred Heart University graduates who received degrees during the school's 41st commencement ceremony.

The chairman of World Wresting Entertainment was up front about that from the get go.

"I have no pearls of wisdom. I won't tell you how to run your life," McMahon said during the school's commencement address.

"I have trouble running mine," he noted.

The thousands of parents, relatives and students gathered for the graduation ceremony seemed to appreciate McMahon's honesty, especially when he pointing out, "This is my first occasion to speak at a commencement. After my remarks, it will no doubt by my last."

Students cheered, called out his name and more than a few parents chuckled when he matter-of-factly added, "I was born in 1945. I don't consider myself an old fart."

McMahon's speech capped a smoothly run graduation, held under clear blue skies and windy conditions at the university's football field.

A total of 1,813 degrees were conferred, including 25 for doctor of physical therapy; 655 for master's programs; 944 bachelor degrees; 43 associate's degrees and 76 professional certificates.

The university also recognized one of its own, bestowing an honorary degree on Douglas J. Bohn, who began his career at the school in 1964 as a mathematics instructor and rose to the position of registrar and assistant vice president of academic affairs.

Bohn is retiring July 1, but will continue to assist the university's institutional research office.

"I appreciate the award and working with my colleagues over the years," Bohn said after receiving his degree.

McMahon also received an honorary degree in recognition of his work in support of children over the past 20 years. His wife, Linda, is a trustee at the university.

During his commencement address, McMahon sketched his career, explaining how he was raised in an "eight foot-wide, 50-foot trailer," and how he became a "certified juvenile delinquent."

McMahon said when faced with a choice between jail and military school, he picked military school. "I graduated, but not before I was the first to be court-martialed."

From there, McMahon said he went to East Carolina University, where he "flunked out every year." He married his wife, Linda, a union that has lasted more than 40 years. "Fine looking woman, fine looking woman," McMahon said after asking his wife to stand for the audience.

In 1972, he purchased Capital Wrestling Corp. from his father. That company became the WWE multibillion-dollar empire, which sold pay-per-view events to nearly six million households last year.

"Along the way I became a billionaire. Way to go, Vince," McMahon said.

"But I still had a number of failures. I invested in the World Body Building Federation and then came the XFL. There have been a number of failures along the way," he explained.

"It's important in life that you are not afraid to fail. If you are not afraid to fail, you will be a success in life," McMahon explained, offering a few of those pearls of wisdom he claimed not to have.

Bill Cummings, who covers regional issues, can be reached at 330-6230.

Original article/Connecticut Post
Back to top Go down
Chair-shot
Admin
Chair-shot

Male Number of posts : 92

PostSubject: Mr. McMahon becomes Dr. McMahon   McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2007 1:09 pm

*MERGED*

Source:WWE.com
By Andrew Rote
Written: May 13, 2007FAIRFIELD, Conn. – Mr. McMahon now has one more mark of distinction to add to his long list of accomplishments. After delivering a speech to the graduates of Sacred Heart University, the Chairman received an honorary doctor of humane letters degree.

“First of all, my name is not Vince,” Mr. McMahon told WWE.com. “It’s Dr. Vince or Dr. McMahon.”

The Chairman said he had no other honors comparable to this one; however, he felt right at home in that robe.

“If anyone alive should be decreed the doctorate of humane letters, it unquestionably should be me, and I humbly accept that award,” he said.

Mr. McMahon walked out to a very warm welcoming from more than 1,000 members of Sacred Heart’s graduating class. His wife Linda McMahon, a member of the Sacred Heart Board of Trustees, presented him with a hood just moments before he tossed his cap into the chairs to kick off his speech.

“I have no pearls of wisdom for you today,” the Chairman admitted. “I’m not going to tell you how to run your lives because I have difficulty running mine.”

Mr. McMahon discussed the challenges he went through on his way to receiving a degree as well as the bumps he faced on his road to success in business. He was honored for giving back to the community, particularly with children and education.

“What makes this a very special day is that the students have the privilege of hearing my remarks,” the Chairman announced before taking the stage.

Perhaps Mr. McMahon was accurate with that claim.

“He’s a well-established businessman,” said Matthew Cassidy, graduate. “He’s very successful and I’m excited to hear what he has to say to us.”

Christopher Lavoie, another member of Sacred Heart’s 2007 graduating class, agreed.

“I think Mr. McMahon is the perfect speaker,” he said. “I grew up watching WWE on TV and now to see him here in person is like seeing everything from my childhood come up with me.”

Mr. McMahon’s words were brief, but he made his stay memorable. After reminding everybody in attendance that he did become a billionaire, he made sure to discuss some of the failures he faced on the way. Still, he has been able to use them as methods of learning, giving him the education he needed to stand with a doctor of humane letters degree on the stage of Sacred Heart University.

“There have been a number of failures along the way in my life,” he said, “I have no pearls of wisdom, as I said before, but I can leave you with this thought. It’s important in life that you’re not afraid to fail. If you’re not afraid to fail, then you will be a success in life.”
McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates Drmac
Back to top Go down
punjabi king

punjabi king

Male Number of posts : 58

PostSubject: Re: McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates   McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates Icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2007 1:31 pm

lets hope vince starts using his brain for the wwe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates   McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

McMahon addresses Sacred Heart University graduates
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Dungeon Forums :: Wrestling :: WWE-
Jump to: